Healthy Protein Bites

Whoa nelly.  In between intense episodes of pelvic pressure yesterday (almost 37 weeks!) what else would I be up to then trying out a new recipe! ;o) Nesting phase, right?

I have been so busy with school, trying to finish up a class before Jace comes (before my next one starts end of April!), that I have been slacking in posting some of my new recipes. I. CANNOT. WAIT. till maternity leave when not only I can enjoy time with my son, but I can share more of my passion: health and food!

I have been trying to fine tune my diet beyond restricting gluten and soy to start prepping for breastfeeding.  What an opportunity to start baby's immune system in the right direction!  I pray daily that I will be able to breastfeed, and my goal is one year.  I have recently sought out more information and gained interest in regards to candida, it's role in the gut, the immune system, and how it affects our guts and the babe's gut.  I don't feel competent enough in the topic yet to offer an opinion, BUT I do agree that eliminating sugars, high glycemic index products, and poor quality carbohydrates is a great place to start.  Finding whole foods and a variety of them to get into the diet is so important and worthwhile.

I have become quite the snacker the last few weeks.  I will eat and get so full, and then not much later I'm hungry again. What's the deal?  I hear this gets crazy with breastfeeding. I like to eat so challenge accepted ;o) But I love having small and simple, easy-to-grab snacks that I know are nutrient dense and can satisfy some occasional cravings.

My gluten free, vegan protein bites do just that.  I love how simple they are to make and how just one bite gives you a nice jolt.  Easy to make and even easier to eat.  Give them a try!

Healthy Protein Bites (made 9 bites- can double recipe to make more!)
1/4 cup raw vegan chocolate protein powder (I use Garden of Life brand- same as my prenatals- best one I have found on the market!)
2 tbsp organic coconut flour
2 tbsp organic almond meal
2 tbsp carob powder
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 tspn organic vanilla extract (I use frontier brand!)
Raw dark chocolate topping (optional)

Add the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.  Add almond milk 1/4 cup at a time and mix. Add the rest of the milk and vanilla in the bowl and continue to mix.  If you would like to thicken more you can add an additional tbsp coconut flour.  You should be able to mold into ball/bar shape.  Place on parchment paper and put in fridge for a few minutes to cool and harden.  You can eat them right then or you can add a chocolate topping and then refrigerate again.  I had a small bit leftover of a raw organic unsweetened dark chocolate bar from my local CROP juice store that I melted and added a tiny bit to each bite to give it an extra hint of sweet.  But they are still good without it!  Enjoy :o)


Olly wants to try some protein bites too! :o)

Blessings,

Lindsay


Comments

Popular Posts