Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread

I find a lot of people think that when you go gluten free that you are giving up bread.

Not necessarily.

It's all about ingredients and substitutes.  I tell you, once you get use to not having bread, it seems simple to live without.  But every once in a while, I get a craving!

That happened a couple weeks ago.  I'm always trying to find great recipes to include my husband in on too, as he does gluten free (99% of the time!) and loves carbs and sandwiches.  Finding substitutes for him and ones that are family-friendly and good for entertaining are important to use so as to not feel like being gluten-free is such a sacrifice.

Say hello to my gluten-free sandwich bread.  I have made many of these "breads" before, but this recipe 100% sticks out in taste and simplicity. My husband likes it even better than wheat bread!! I have snagged a couple slices here and there and have added some honey and kerrygold butter for a delicious snack.

Important to remember: if you are used to make gluten free breads, you will know that they usually don't rise as high and can be pretty dense due to no gluten.  I found that because this recipe includes tapioca flour, I was able to get the lightest and fluffiest consistency.  The bread still comes out smaller than typical sandwich bread, but you could use a smaller loaf pan to get a higher rise or double and triple the ingredients to get a bigger loaf as I have.

What's tapioca flour? It's a starchy white flour that has a slight sweet favor to it.  It comes from the South American cassava plant and helps to bind gluten free recipes and improve the texture of baked goods.  It's extremely smooth, which makes it great as a thickener for sauces, pies and soups.  In addition, it can be used as a corn starch substitute.

Note this recipe includes a hint of kerrygold butter, so if you are very sensitive to dairy, use caution.  Otherwise, I utilize almond meal instead of flour to get a nutty texture for the bread and to utilize more affordable ingredients.

Enjoy!

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread (quantities are to make loaf size pictured below)

1 cup almond meal (I use trader joes organic brand! click link to right)
1 cup tapioca flour (I use Bob Mills- click link to right)
4 organic eggs
2 tbsp Kerrygold Butter (you may also use palm shortening)
2 tbsp organic honey (you can use more/less to taste)
2 tspn baking powder
dash of himilayan sea salt (click link to right)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, combine the almond meal, tapioca flour, baking powder and dash of sea salt.  Add in eggs (well-whipped), honey, and Kerrygold. Mix to combine.  Place mixture in well-greased round molds or in a loaf pan.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool, and serve.  Can store in bread box or fridge.




Blessings,

Lindsay

Comments

  1. Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!
    best lactation cookies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts