Creamed Kale Recipe- Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Vegan

It's no lie. I love creamy things, and I love kale.  I've blogged about kale and its nutrients before- that veggie isn't playing around! But I love finding ways to sneak in greens into my diet and recipes...probably good practice for mommyhood right? :o)  Here's the link to my last kale creation:

http://thefoodcure.blogspot.com/2014/08/kale-for-beginners.html

I'm 38 weeks pregnant now and so blessed to continue to feel healthy and strong.  I can't help but think diet is just one of the many things that contributes to that.  I'm far from perfect, but I try my best!  A goal of mine right now is to be as proactive as possible with my diet as I prepare to breastfeed.  My goal is to breastfeed for at least one year, and I want to be as nutritionally prepared as possible to achieve that.

Of course, there is the possibility, for one reason or another and possibly related to previous health issues, that I would not be able to breastfeed.  I pray daily that is not the case, but I also trust God is in control and has a plan.  He has equipped me for all life's journeys and challenges so I must trust in that :o)

I plan on making my son his baby food, so I was excited to make this creation and know that this is something he can enjoy some day too! This recipe is not only fully loaded with kale, it incorporates garlic, which is healthy for the immune system and has wonderful antioxidants.  It is also a dairy free recipe and uses full fat coconut milk to achieve a creamy and nutritious base.  This dish can be served as a dip for veggies, as a warm creamy soup, or as a sauce/marinade for meats.

Check it out and enjoy!

Creamed Kale- Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Vegan

2 bunches organic kale
2 tbsp butter (I use kerrygold)
1 small white onion minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup full fat coconut milk (I use Arroy-D carton
Himilayan sea salt to taste

Place kale in large pot and set on high heat for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the minced onion.  Cook until translucent (4-5 min) and then add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook another 2 minutes.  At this point, remove kale from heat and drain and dry as much as possible.  Add kale and coconut milk to heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season to taste with sea salt and remove from heat.  Can now serve as is or process in a food processor to achieve the texture you desire.





Blessings,

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts