Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love chocolate.

I don't love quinoa.

Together though, this pair works out.  Yesterday, I experimented using quinoa for baking to create and a nutty, sweet, nutritious treat.  My husband loves quinoa, but I find I need to put it into burgers and other recipes to enjoy it more.  As I have talked about on the blog before, quinoa is an awesome complete protein that is loaded with manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorous, folate, iron, potassium, zinc and B vitamins.  Not to mention, this grain contains heart-healthy fatty acids, helping to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, colon cancer, and obesity.

What I love about this recipe is it literally take 15 minutes to make from start to finish.  It's a great family friendly recipe, and one that I would feel comfortable putting in my child's lunchbox.  I specifically utilize Enjoy Life chocolate chips, as they are dairy, soy, and gluten free, and help this recipe maintain free of those common allergens.

This recipe is great for breakfast, a snack or dessert.  Give it a try, and enjoy this beautiful Sunday!

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies (Makes 1 dozen)

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup gluten free granola (or you can use gluten free oats)
1/3 cup almond butter
1 tbsp organic honey
3 tspn water
1/3 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grind the quinoa and granola in a high speed food processor or blender.  Add the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips.  If mixture is too dry, you can add some dates or more water in tspn amounts until the mix is moist and holds together.  Then add the chocolate chips and mix them in evenly.  Roll the mix in mini balls (1 inch) and set on greased cookie sheet. for 10-12 minutes until they get crunchy and light brown color on the outside.  



Blessings,

Lindsay



Comments

Popular Posts