Kale Banana "Green" Pancakes

Vegetables for breakfast??!! The horror!!

On our trip back from St. Augustine, my husband Ray and I were reminiscing about those oh-so-good-but-incredibly-bad cereals from growing up.  Remember cookie crisp, rice krispy treats, french toast crunch, and oreo o's??  Do they still sell that stuff?  Oh, don't forget the other fun treats: munchkins, cinnamon buns, and dare I say it....pop tarts!

Breakfast can go either way folks.  Nutritious or sacrilegious.  It can be hard to come up with ideas. Honestly, breakfast can get boring.  Between smoothies and eggs, smoothies and eggs, I get bored too.  Going gluten-free, it's easy to miss simple breakfast staples, like pancakes, waffles and french toast.  Are there alternatives?

Fortunately, yes. And what's even better, is you can start your veggie tally first thing in the morning too without feeling like your abandoning tradition.  Sneaking veggies into smoothies is a great and easy way to start...but, what about in pancakes?

I have been on a kale kick lately.  Partially because I was generously given a whole lotta kale from an organic community co-op recently, and I don't like seeing organic food go to waste.  Also, because I am determined to find ways to up my veggie count, as well as my calcium and iron in pregnancy. Truly though, can kale taste good for breakfast?

This took me a couple tries folks.  No snap-your-fingers-easy-victory.  But finally I got it done!  Green pancakes.  Dr Seuss would be proud.

It doesn't matter which kale you use for your pancakes, but mine was winter or russian red.  As I've talked about on the blog in the past, kale is a major superfood, containing powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects.  It's rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, copper, manganese, and Vitamin A- what a great way to start your day!!  The sometimes bitter taste of kale is knocked out in this recipe by a sweet banana.

Here's my recipe.  Totally family friendly.  Enjoy!

Kale Banana "Green" Pancakes (serves two)

2 bananas
4 eggs
1 tspn vanilla
2 cups fresh kale (can also substitute spinach here)
2 tbsp almond butter
1 tspn cinnamon
dash of Himilayan sea salt (click link to right to buy!)
Optional add ins: chocolate chips, coconut, protein powder, flax seed, chia seed)

Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix till frothy and combined well.  Pour onto greased skillet on medium heat and flip when top of pancake is beginning to look dry.  Quantity will depend on how big you want your pancakes!




Top it off with some yummy kerrygold butter and honey!

Blessings,

Lindsay


Comments

Popular Posts