Rest, relax, and take a DETOX bath!

I have always been a bath person.  Not just for hygiene's sake.  I genuinely have always loved them- bubble baths especially.  I can hear my parents now- "You will ruin the drain in the tub!" Pshhh.  I used to be memorized when I would look in people's bathrooms and find huge whirlpool tubs.  And jets?? Ok, mesmorized and drooling.

Weird fetish?  I don't think so.  Taking baths and soaks are one the most healthy things you can do for your body!



The earliest baths date back to ancient Greece in the mid-2nd millenium BC.  Baths were sought out for hygiene, religious, and traditional rituals.   Mud and clay baths, and baths using aromatherapy oils and herbs have been used for thousands of years to help assist the body's natural detoxification abilities.

What does a detox bath do? For starters, it helps remove toxins, chemicals and pollutants from your body.  A nice hot bath opens up your body's pores, causing your body to sweat out all those toxins that build up in day-to-day life.  Your skin is your body's largest organ, and through it you can remove at least 60% of toxins!  Due to this permeability, it is easy to see how the skin easily can absorb toxins as well.  All the more reason to choose for it to absorb nutrients and release toxins!

So how do you get started? Easy! Here's a simple "how to" list to get you started:

1) Fill your tub with as hot water as you can tolerate. Pick a time of the day when you won't be bothered or when you will have the last amount of distractions

2) Have a cup of water poolside.  This is just like a massage folks.  You need to drink lots of water-before, after, and during- because you will be sweating out toxins

3) Use 2 cups of epsom salts, 1 cup baking soda (unless your bath water is filtered), 1/2 cup bentonite clay, and/or a couple drops of your favorite oils.  I can't stress enough to make sure whatever you put in your detox bath is CHEMICALLY FREE (look on those labels for parabins, sulfites and aluminum and anything else with a funky name and NIX it).  Once you get more comfortable with the baths and ready to try other ingredients, you can explore using colloidal oatmeal, Himilayan salt, magnesium flakes (helps your muscles!), and honey.

4) Plan to soak for at least 20 minutes.  Ideally 30.  This amount of time is necessary to get the full results of your detox bath plus absorb the minerals in the water.  I like to put on some music and just chillax.  This is one of the few chances I get to be still, relaxed, and get to take care of me.  Remember, to take care of others you have to make sure you take some time to take care of your own mind, body and spirit.

5) Carefully get out of the bath tub.  Notice the emphasis on the carefully.  You just lost some fluids so your likely to be lightheaded or feel a bit woozy just getting out of the bath tub.  I would equate to orthostatic hypotension symptoms for those who are familiar.  Just move nice and slow

6) I like to then hop right into the shower (I use mildly warm water), take a washcloth, and just scrub my body real quick to get my lymphatic system going. What does that mean? It mean reducing muscle tension, relaxing the nervous system, strengthening the immune system, promotes circulation, calms the mind, and decreases fat deposits and toxins from getting deeper in skin. AKA girls- helps decrease cellulite!

My experience is that I'm usually a little tired after my bath- just like a deep tissue massage! You might even feel some minor achiness or headache.  This is normal when your body detoxes.  So my advice would be to not plan any activities right after your detox bath.  This is great before bedtime or during a more slow-paced day.

How often should you do a detox bath?  Whenever you can!!  I am actively trying to detox, so I am to do 2 baths a week.  Ideally, if you can do one every 1-2 weeks, you are helping your body.  Each time counts in helping your body heal.  Jump on in!





Comments

  1. I like it! I'd like to try this sometime soon. Where did you find your clay cleansing formula at?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts