Kale for Beginners

I don't know about you, but I love kale.  Whether its kale chips, in smoothies, in salad, its one of my faves.



Kale is definitely a superfood.  Not only is it a powerful detox agent, it has risk-lowering benefits for cancer, can help lower cholesterol, and has special antiinflammatory and antioxidative effects.  Talk about being a mean green!

Kale is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, copper, and manganese- just to name a few.  These items help support the endocrine, immune, nervous, musculoskeletal, integumentary, and reproductive systems.  OK so kale pretty much is a Win-Win for the whole body!!

So how do you find ways to get kale more in your diet?  First of all, remember from one of my previous post on the dirty dozen that this food is on the extended list.  So make sure you only buy it organic. Second of all, try to start out slow with it, and figure out how you like it best!!

Kale chips are easy to prepare and can ease any snack craving.  Simply place pieces of kale (I rip off pieces of the leaves) and place on pyrex casserole dish.  I drizzle extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil and some himilayan sea salt on mine. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. It's a tasty treat everybody loves!!



Or you can try Whole Food salad bar favorite- Garlicky Kale Salad!!  It might do a number on your breath, but it is so worth it.  I was determined to recreate this recipe when I found that I was getting it literally EVERY time I went to Whole Foods.  I thought, how hard can this be to make right? I was pleased to find it is so easy!



 You can buy red leaf or green leaf kale for this recipe- whichever you prefer! I love both!



 Grab lemon, garlic (minced is preferred), organic tahini, apple cider vinegar and liquid aminos (Braggs is best).  You will need:

2 tablespoons organic tahini
2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice or just squeeze a real lemon like me!
2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
2 teaspoons garlic powder or mixed garlic
sesame seeds, to taste (optional and I omitted)

Mix together in a blender or food processor.  Pour over kale salad and massage into the kale with your hands so all pieces are covered.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top as desired. Eat then or refrigerate for later :o)



Comments

Popular Posts