Sugar Free & Grain Free Cake in a Mug

Seriously.  This recipe is so good you will not believe there is no grain or added sugar.

We are fasting from sugar in our home which is no easy task.  I am not totally avoiding fruit, though I do try to keep it to one serving a day, again, because of the sugar content.  This is to further reduce inflammation in my body and let my gut heal. With my hormones still changing postpartum, I've been feeling really good with the exception of my sleep being off.  And it's not my son's fault!  He has been sleeping through the night since early on, but I have been having bouts of insomnia which is not my cup of tea.  Years ago, it was normal for me to run off of 4 or 5 hours of sleep and just work like a dog and work out.  But when my body went through so much sickness last year, it became clear I could no longer let this be routine.  In fact, I have had to take an interest in "sleep hygiene" by trying to go to bed by a certain time each night, dimming lights, avoiding late meals, avoiding caffeine, etc.  Some days it pays off.  I try to remember that sometimes healing takes a very long time of doing the right thing :o)

Ok, back to my mug cake.  Avoiding sugar is hard, and I personally have been avoiding using grain and baking substitutes, such as coconut and almond flour.  Not because I think they are bad ingredients, but just because I have been trying to avoid all grains (again, for gut healing).  But one thing you get used to with cooking paleo and for whole 30 is that bananas and almond butter have got to be some of the best ingredients to pull off baking- and they taste good too!

This mug cake is a great afternoon treat or dessert and great for kids too with the low sugar content and healthy ingredients.  Give it a try!

Sugar Free & Grain Free Cake in a Mug (Sugar Free, GF, DF, Soy-free, whole 30, paleo)

1/4 cup or 2 heaping tbsp almond butter
1 small banana
1 organic egg
2 tbsp unsweetened almond or coconut milk
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn cinnamon
1/2 tspn vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp carob powder or unsweetened cocoa or maca powder (optional)

Mash banana in mug.  Add smooth almond butter ,and mix well.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Heat up in microwave safe mug for 90 seconds or until cooked through (mine needed 2 minutes).  Serve and enjoy!



Blessings, 

Lindsay



Comments

Popular Posts