Bats About Beets!

Postpartum cravings?  Believe it or not, I have craved just as many foods postpartum that I have had when I was pregnant.  One of the main items being beets.

I used to hate beets.  Well, honestly, I never remembered trying them or eating them much growing up.  I think I probably ate them for the first time after college, and they were from a can.

Boring.

Then in the past year I discovered delicious, raw, organic beets.  I love all the different varieties and colors.  I didn't enjoy them while I was pregnant, but I certainly have loved cooking with beets during my "fourth trimester."

What's so special about beets?  Dr. Mercola has a great article entitled "Six Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Beets" that gives six reasons why beets should be in your diet.  They include: lowering your blood pressure, boosting your stamina, fighting inflammation, helping in detoxification, being a fiber agent, and acting as an anti-cancer food.

One of the main reasons I'm enjoying incorporating beets into my diet currently is for their liver detoxification benefits.  Pectin, which is a fiber found in beets, can help clean out the toxins removed by the liver, allowing them to be flushed out of the system rather than be reabsorbed by the liver.  Another beet component, betaine, encourages liver cells to get rid of toxins, as well as defends the liver and bile ducts, thus helping to support liver function.

Interestingly, the green leafy tops to your beets are one of the healthiest things you could eat too!  They contain protein, phosphorous, zinc, fiber, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C and iron.

I find I like beets best when juiced with other greens, when sautéed, roasted or baked into chips.  The recipe I'm going to share with you today is very basic, and the one that helped me to start to fall in love with beets.  It's simple and definitely a crowd pleaser!!

Enjoy!

Roasted Balsamic Beets (GF, DF, soy free, whole 30)

2 medium sized beets
2 tbsp EVOO
1/4 tsp himilayan sea salt
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp coconut sugar (optional and I omit for my use)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the beets, and cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes.  Line a pan or casserole dish with aluminum foil, and place the beets in the pan.  Rub the EVOO over the beets, and sprinkle with salt. Cover the beets with another layer of aluminum foil.  Roast for 60 to 90 minutes. Check after one hour, and every 15 minutes thereafter for texture with a fork.  Remove from oven once soft and tender.  While the beets are cooling, cook the balsamic vinegar with sugar (if desired).  Heat on high until a syrup consistency, and then remove from heat.  Pour the balsamic glaze over the beets.  Serve!! Any leftovers may stay refrigerated up to one week.


Blessings,

Lindsay


Comments

Popular Posts