Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free Smash Cake

I have had a lot of people ask me about my son's smash cake recipe so I decided to post again this week!  I created a hybrid recipe of many recipes I saw using simple ingredients.  Bottom line: Jace loved his smash cake!!

My husband and I had made a decision before my son was born that we did not want to introduce added sugar until a certain age.  That age we don't know yet, but really, it was just a very personal decision.  The chemicals and dyes in products now are a huge contributor to disease and it was important to us based on personal health histories and what I know about the body and disease as an integrative nurse practitioner that I help support Jace's gut and health while I still can.  Happy to elaborate more if anybody has questions for me.

We had also decided to not give our son gluten.  Again, a personal decision based on what I know about gluten and my husband and I's personal health histories.  But fortunately, gluten is so easy to avoid nowadays!  There are tons of gluten free options at the store.

We used coconut flour for our cake base, and it actually turned out better than I thought it would!  I usually am not a fan of coconut flour because it is so dense, and it can be a nightmare to bake with!  But this time it actually came through for me.  I usually avoid giving dairy to Jace except for raw milk or kerrygold products, and this cake did include kerrygold.  However, I'm sure coconut oil could be utilized for an easy dairy-free substitute.

Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free Smash Cake

1/2 cup organic coconut flour (I used trader joes)
6 tbsp kerrygold
1 banana
1/2 cup organic applesauce
5 large eggs (from our organic-fed, pasture-raised chickens!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

optional: a couple tablespoons of water depending on consistency of batter with type of coconut flour you use


Frosting

1 cup palm shortening (softened)
1 banana
1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tspn vanilla extract
3-4 drops lemon young living essential oil
1 tbsp organic whole milk (may substitute with almond or coconut milk)

Directions for cake:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Use an electric mixer or whisk to blend the butter, banana and applesauce until smooth.
3) Add the eggs and vanilla extract ad continue to mix.
4) Add the flour slowly, while continuing to mix.
5) Add rest of the dry ingredients and combine until smooth.
6) Bake for 25 minutes in a greased cake pan.  I separated among two cake pans.
7) Once finished, let cool.  Then cut circles if desired to layer for smash cake.

Directions for frosting:

Combine all the ingredients until smooth.  Use in between cake layers and for outside of cake.

Enjoy!  Jace did :o)




Blessings,

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts