Springtime Cabbage Salad

Cabbage.  I actually had never used one or cooked with one till about 2 months ago.  Previously, my familiarity brought back memories of corned beef and cabbage around Easter.  I never really cared for either foods!

So when I started regularly getting cabbage with my local organic produce veggie boxes, I knew I needed to learn more about this veggie and how to use it.  First, I made homemade sauerkraut. This fermented food can serve as a yummy probiotic that can be added to salads and sandwiches.  I found it easy to add to seaweed and lettuce protein roll-ups.

Then I decided to make a slaw.  We all know and love cole slaw.  A staple of the American "picnic," this food tastes great, but as you can probably guess, it is not very nutritious.  Most store-bought slaws are slathered in mayonnaise filled with unhealthy fats, soy, and other genetically modified (GMO) ingredients.  There are fortunately some great alternative mayos out there, but they can be a pitfall if you are trying to avoid eggs.

Fortunately,  I discovered it is very easy to make a homemade slaw and even with just a few ingredients you can get a great tasting salad that is very filling too!  This is especially great because cabbage is very nutritious for you.  It's high in antioxidants, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and is also anti-inflammatory.  It is usually a more affordable organic vegetable that can be very versatile in the kitchen, whether steamed or used for salads.

I love this slaw I created today that was easy to whip up and will last us many meals.  Check it out and enjoy!

Springtime Cabbage Salad (GF, DF, paleo, AIP, GAPS)

1 medium head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
10 radishes, chopped
3 granny smith or other tart apples, chopped
1 medium green onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1-2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or coconut aminos
1/2 cup pomegranates or chopped orange, optional

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.  Serve immediately or refrigerate.



Blessings,

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts