Creamed Kale Recipe Revisited...with Spinach!

I've been super bad about writing lately.  I call it the "I'm in my last few months of grad school, have a 4 month old, am married, still trying to maintain friendships and I'm starting a farm with my husband season."  Not to mention that I'm also a writer for The Snap Mom, a super awesome website and community where moms can help each other and learn from one another.  You should totally check it out at http://thesnapmom.com.  Just saying.

But I try to stay committed as best as possible to my meal prep.

Busyness can totally get in the way of eating healthy and sticking to a certain food plan or diet.  You have to be dedicated and desire health.  It's okay to slip up here and there...I sure do!  But then you get back on the train and ride.

I've been posting lately on resurrecting organic produce for soups, and I have a similar recipe today.  I'm revisiting my creamed kale recipe from before on the blog and using spinach this time.  I was one happy camper because this spinach definitely was walking out the door!  However, I was desperate to save it and use it for a couple meals, since I won't get to the grocery store for a few days.

#momlife.

I kept this recipe super basic for the time factor and for the fact that I don't have much stuff in the fridge currently.  I also was happy to load up on some spinach because I had something viral going on starting Friday, so it's been a weekend filled with ginger, bone broth, and vitamin C.

Spinach is like my go-to Vitamin C food.  I used to take Emergen-C, and then I looked at the ingredient list.  Not surprisingly, like so many vitamins and supplements, these packets have artificial colors and ingredients.  I decided I need to stick to my greens and fruits...where the natural Vitamin C is!

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports the immune system and helps your body absorb iron.  Since our bodies don't produce or store Vitamin C, it's important to get this vitamin in our diets!    Spinach is a great source of this, as well as berries and broccoli.  Any excess Vitamin C our bodies don't use will be flushed out of our system.

Hope you like this super simple recipe; it's a little bit different than my creamed kale as seen here http://thefoodcure.blogspot.com/2015/04/creamed-kale-recipe-gluten-freedairy.html.  It's might tasty and tastes great with salmon, steak or poultry, or any meatless meal.  It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 days for freshness.

Creamed Spinach Side Dish (Paleo, GF, DF, soy free, AIP, Wahl's Protocol, GAPs diet)

5 cups spinach or one bag spinach
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk or coconut cream concentrate
1 tbsp kerrygold butter (optional)
1 tsp garlic powder or fresh garlic (optional)
1 tsp parsely
1 tsp dill
1/2 tsp himilayan sea salt

Cook the spinach in boiling water for 30 minutes or until well cooked.  Drain well and make sure all excess water removed.  Combine with coconut milk and seasonings.  Enjoy warm right away or store in fridge for 2 to 3 days for freshness.


Blessings,

Lindsay



Comments

Popular Posts