Seaweed: the superfood you should be eating daily!

Seaweed. Thumbs up or thumbs down?  Pre-baby I had to force-feed this to myself.  During pregnancy I hated it.  I opted for kelp granules more often.  Post-baby, I'm loving it!

What is so special about seaweed?  I learned how awesome this food is for those with autoimmune conditions, especially multiple sclerosis.  The high amounts of iron, calcium, antioxidants and fiber found in this food help to increase alertness and mental clarity.  In addition, the selenium in seaweed can also strengthen your bones, eyes and skin while sharpening your brain through detoxification.

Big supporters on the use of seaweed in your diet include Dr. Mercola and Dr. Terri Wahls.  Wahls is a doctor who was struck with MS in and was able to go from being wheelchair-bound to biking over 20 miles daily through dietary changes in under a year's time.  She credits having algae and seaweed as mainstays in her diet contributed to helping her jump that hurdle.  Dr. Mercola highlights Dr. Wahls in his article called "Doctor Reverses  Multiple Sclerosis in 9 Months by Eating These Foods."  He discusses how seaweed is high in iodine and selenium, helping with thyroid regulation and to detoxify the body.  It's important to note that most Americans are deficient in iodine and should look for ways to get it in their diet.  Seaweed and kelp granules are great choices.

I personally love to put kelp granules on everything!! I basically treat it like a salt shaker, lathering my green veggies, starchy vegetables, meats, salad dressings, and even popcorn with it.  It provides a nice salty taste for those that get overwhelmed by the taste of seaweed.

Right now I am loving seaweed.  Seaweed and seaweed snacks are easy to find at your Whole Foods and most supermarkets, and most are organic varieties.  My favorite is the seaweed snacks with a hint of sea salt.  I love to use it as a wrap for veggies and meat, just like my chicken salad here.  With only 30 calories per container, this is a great alternative to bread and heavy starches and grains for your meals and snacks.

Give seaweed a try!  Here is my delicious Whole 30 chicken salad recipe for you to enjoy with it:

Chicken Salad Seaweed Snack (GF, DF, soy-free, whole 30, paleo, AIP)

1 pound shredded organic chicken (optimal to tenderize in crockpot by roasting whole chicken)
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (add more or less for consistency you desire)
1 long stalk chopped celery
dozen crushed almonds
1/4 cup organic raisins
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dill
1 tsp basil
dash of black pepper
dash of himilayan sea salt

Too easy.  Mix all the ingredients together and your done!  Add more or less full fat coconut milk for consistency you desire (I prefer Arroy-D brand that comes in carton). Scoop a tbsp on your seaweed snacks for an easy meal or snack!


Enjoy,

Lindsay


Comments

Popular Posts