DIY Organic Coconut Milk

I'm a big coconut fan.

I feel like I use coconut for everything.  For baking, salad dressings, desserts, and I even put coconut oil with my pup's dog food.  Not to mention using it for oil pulling, a carrier with my essential oils,  and my babe's skin care products.  Between coconut flakes, cream, butter, oil and flour, our family loves coconut!!

Coconut boasts many benefits. It can help speed up metabolism, containing specific fats that promote a healthy body weight and help shed unwanted pounds.  These heart-healthy fats also can benefit one's cholesterol levels.  Coconut is high in manganese and copper, which help to activate antioxidant enzymes needed to protect your cells from damage.  In addition, copper plays a role in energy production and helps make elastin and collagen, two proteins that strengthen your tissues.

Coconut is so versatile and easy to use for so many things.  It should come as no surprise that is an easy staple for the making of coconut milk.

I have avoided dairy for most of my life with the exception of pregnancy when I craved it! I miss having it now, but I have gotten use to it.  Dairy, more often than not, does not sit well with me.  In addition, I avoid it for the autoimmune protocol diet.  Maybe someday I can reintroduce it, but for now, it is easy to substitute.

You might recall a couple weeks ago I posted a DIY almond milk recipe here on the blog.  I like this recipe for DIY coconut milk just as much, if not more because it is more affordable to make, and I get lots of leftover coconut pulp that I can use for making flour for baking and bulking up recipes.  I haven't done this recipe in a few months so it was fun revisiting, especially using my new nut milk bag which is much easier and more versatile than cheesecloth.  My recipe has the milk come out a bit creamy, so you can do less or more water to suit your taste when it comes to creaminess.

Hope you enjoy!

DIY Organic Coconut Milk (yields 2 cups coconut milk)

2 cups unsweetened organic shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups of filtered water

Place 2 cups of shredded coconut in a blender and pour the filtered water over it.  Thoroughly stir.  Let sit for 2 to 4 hours.  After soaking, cover blender and puree for a minute.  Take out bowl and nut milk bag (or cheesecloth) and pour coconut mixture into bag that is sitting in bowl.  Gather the nut milk bag in your hands and squeeze/wring out the milk mixture (be more gentle with cheesecloth).  Once you have squeezed the liquid out, remove the pulp and set it in the fridge.  You can keep it there for a couple days or place in freezer for longer storage (eventually you can dry out to make coconut flour).  Set coconut milk liquid in glass bottle in fridge.






Blessings,

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts