Sweetgrass Farms & Survival Kit Gift for Guys!

I know, I know. I'm a day late. Story of my preggo life :o)

Gosh, Valentine's Day definitely comes up fast, doesn't it?  I've never been this sappy, Valentine's Day-obsessed person, but it's funny how much more you start caring about it when you’re with "the one." I remember when my husband and I were dating...I literally found an excuse every week to surprise or "gift" something to Ray.  Not kidding.

Marriage shouldn't be much different. Yeah some things have changed, but I firmly believe in a healthy and loving relationship you are always celebrating one another, whether its by going out on a date, giving a gift, helping with chore, etc (queue "Five Love Languages" book! lol).  And it shouldn't be limited to just Valentine's Day

So though this blog post doesn't feature a recipe, food advice or a health tip, I believe love is just as important and healing for your health.  Reminds me of what the Bible says about love:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always persevere."  True that. What a great challenge and charge!


We started a new tradition Valentine's Day this year: going to Sweetgrass Farms in Sarasota, FL.  This is a hydroponics farm that opened up last year and is breaking new ground in non-GMO food territory.  While there is no "organic" certification yet for hydroponics, Sweetgrass uses coconut coir instead of soil to eliminate the need for harsh chemicals for pest management and keeps the produce very clean.  Rather than using harsh chemicals and pesticides, Sweetgrass applies a limited amount of safe, organic pesticides, such as orange oil and copper spray.


We wound up getting all the strawberries we could fit into a cardboard container for $5, and then got a dozen strawberries we hand-dipped in chocolate for $15.  It was well worth it!  These are some of the best strawberries we have ever had!  Not to mention Sweetgrass offers many other crops and serves many local restaurants.  They are open 7 am to 3 pm Tuesday through Friday and offer U-pick strawberries each Saturday through this upcoming May.  You can check out www.sweetgrassfarms.com for more info!









I was also inspired by Pinterest to make more of a creative, symbolic gift for my husband this year.  Using inspiration, I created a "Last Trimester Survival Kit" for my husband.  You can do a "survival kit" for any occasion though!  Other ideas for a survival kit include one for the hospital, one for a new job, one for a new move, one for announcing a pregnancy.  Here are the items I included and important verbage that is meaningful to me:

Last Trimester/New Daddy Survival Kit

Beef Jerky: For when you need extra protein to endure the last trimester with me

Lifesavers:  Because you’re my lifesaver; I couldn’t do this without you

Kisses: To remind you that you are so very loved

Rubber Band: To remind you to be flexible

Erasers: To remind you everyone makes mistakes

Trail mix: For when you need extra energy to deal with me

“Hero” baby onesie: Because you are my hero, and you will be baby Jace’s hero too

My heart: Because you will always have my heart, no matter what happens, and where this journey in life takes us


Here are some pics :o)




Shhh...I know. Not organic. More about symbolism with these hershey kisses.  At least they are dark chocolate! :o)


Check out this awesome gluten free, healthy beef jerky I found at Richards!!


Appalachian trail mix from Richards: Goji berries, raisins, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, cashews, cranberries...yum!








Don't look at the ingredients. Again, more symbolism. And who doesn't like their breath smelling fresh? Makes it easier to kiss your valentine <3 :o)


Hope you had a great Valentine's Day sharing special time with the one(s) you love!

Blessings, 

Lindsay

Comments

Popular Posts