Goat Cheese Quiche w/ Sweet Potato Crust- it's whats for breakfast!

Recently, I was fortunate to have dear friends over for a brunch.  Nothing makes my heart happier than to be surrounded by friends that are like family as I prepare for this week of Thanksgiving.  Between the hustle and bustle of everyday life, food brings people together.  Meals are memories and moments that we share together.

I am a big fan of brunch food and anything that involves quiche.  So being gluten-free and nutrition conscious, I wanted to make a creation that served dual purposes and was tasty too!

It's important I give this disclaimer. Raw dairy. I know I have talked about it on the blog before.  I know it makes some people cringe, and others worry for its possible effects.  I am lactose intolerant, so I have had to be conscious of my dairy intake for several years now.  If I don't?  Depending on what it is and how much I have, stomach indigestion and horrible constipation.

Believe it or not, since I went gluten free many months ago and eliminated some other problem food items and ingredients from my diet, I find that I tolerate dairy a whole lot better now.  Even more so, I tolerate raw dairy.

What's the difference? Raw milk products aren't pasteurized, and there isn't any reason they need to be if they are coming from free-range and grass-fed cows.  Pasteurized dairy, on the other hand, come from cows fed high-protein, soy feeds unless it's classified as organic.  This feed promotes proliferation of bacteria in animals and explains why it needs to be pasteurized.  In addition, pasteurization transforms the physical structure of milk proteins and alters the shape of the amino acids, making it highly allergenic.  It destroys the friendly bacteria in milk and reduces the vitamin and micronutrient content.  Also, it makes insoluble most of the calcium found in raw milk, which can lead to health issues and poor dentition in children.

Buying organic is key, but raw milk dairy is especially key if you have lactose intolerance.  It's filled with healthy beneficial bacteria, valuable enzymes, cancer-fighting conjugated linoleic acid, and high omega-3 and low omega-6 ratios.  That said, I had started having raw milk products prior to pregnancy, so I did feel more comfortable with that going into pregnancy.  Gauge your comfort level, and that can help you choose.  Currently, raw dairy needs to be labeled "for pet consumption only" because in Florida it is illegal to be sold for human consumption under the Commercial Feeds Distribution License.  Fortunately, there are great farms out there with excellent farming practices that have products at local farmer's markets that can be trusted.

Now that my schpeal is over, I'll get to the good stuff :o) I did use raw milk sour cream in my recipe, but I have also tested an organic, lactose-free, grass-fed cow brand whose yogurt I have also enjoyed, and I found their product to be equally desirable in taste. Have fun experimenting and enjoy this tasty quiche... it would make a perfect Thanksgiving morning breakfast!!

Blessings <3

Goat Cheese Quiche w/ Sweet Potato Crust

2 ground sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
3 tablespoons butter, divided (I used Kerrygold brand)
2 teaspoons Himilayan sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
12 large organic eggs
1 1/2 cups raw or organic sour cream
4 ounces goat cheese
5 green onions, sliced thin
crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Himilayan sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of a pie/quiche casserole dish with 1 tablespoon softened butter.  Cut parchment paper in a circle for the diameter of the bottom of the pan and another strip to fit the sides of the pan. Line the pan with parchment, pressing into the butter to adhere. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the side and bottom parchment layers.  Set aside.

Make sure the grated sweet potatoes are completely dry. Add them to a large bowl.  In another small bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 2 teaspoons Himilayan sea salt, teaspoon of black pepper and pinch of red pepper flakes.  Pour over sweet potatoes and toss lightly to coat.  Press into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.  Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven to cool.



Turn oven down to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, add 11 eggs, sour cream, crumbles or softened goat cheese, green onions, 1/2 teaspoon Himilayan sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Whisk well to combine.  Add the egg mixture to the prepared crust without overfilling beyond the crust.  Bake 30 minutes.  Turn heat down to 350 degrees and bake another 30 minutes.  Allow 20 minutes to cool before serving.


Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving from my home to yours!

Comments

Popular Posts